1. Minna no Nihongo - The best books for learning Japanese. They are more difficult than most beginning Japanese books, but they are the best ones out there.
2. Japanese for Busy People - This is my second favorite series of books for learning Japanese. Make sure you get the version that has Kana (Hiragana and Katakana), and NOT the "Romaji" version that is written using the English Alphabet.
3. Kana Sounds iPhone App - Hiragana and Katakana learning app for iPhones and iPod Touches.
Japanese News in English:
1. The Japan Times - English language news on the web.
2. The Mainichi Daily News - English language news on the web.
1. Fukuoka Now - A monthly magazine and website featuring Fukuoka, Japan.