Is driving in Japan expensive? Well let see if I can answer this question for you.
- Gas is currently 138 yen a liter (1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters)
- Parking is at least 100 yen an hour (off peak)
- Vehicle inspection is like 100,000 yen every two years
- Road tax is like 25,000 + a year. (depending on the car)
- Highway and expressway tolls are expensive.
Does that answer your question?
If I were to answer this question directly I would say: "Yes, but I wouldn't give up driving in Japan. There are too many cool places off the beaten path that you can enjoy!"
PS. No that's not my car, but DAM it is NICE!!